Trip Cancellation Insurance –
What cancellation reasons are covered?
Can I cancel for any reason?
Usually cancelling your trip is the worst-case scenario. With cancellation insurance you don't need to worry.
More and more travelers today appreciate the financial protection of Trip Cancellation Insurance. Many trip cancellations are due to a family member getting sick or injured or to a death in the family. Travelers in their 30's or 40's might have to cancel a trip due to an illness of a young child, an elderly parent, grandparent, or other relative. Job termination, transfer of employment, or a death in the family can force you to cancel your vacation and risk losing your investment in it.
Before you buy trip cancellation insurance compare the list of reasons the policy accepts for trip cancellation or trip interruption. The more reasons listed usually means a more comprehensive policy.
“Before you buy trip cancellation insurance compare the list of reasons the policy accepts for trip cancellation or trip interruption.”
Check out the list below for a comprehensive list of the types of trip cancellation reasons that are covered in better travel insurance plans. Here are two of the cancellation reasons you'll only find in the best plans.
Cancellation Reasons Available in Better Plans:
Cancellation or interruption due to:
- Sickness, injury or death
- A pre-existing medical condition
- Cessation of services of a common carrier due to: unannounced strike, mechanical breakdown, bad weather
- Your residence, destination or workplace made uninhabitable by fire, flood or natural disaster
- Involuntary termination of your employment
- Permanent transfer of employment
- Being hijacked, quarantined or jury duty
- Cancellation due to a terrorist incident
- Documented theft of passports or visas
- Revocation of previously granted military leave for reasons other than war
- Bankruptcy or default of a travel supplier
- Documented repeal of a scheduled vacation
- Epidemic or pandemic
- Mandatory evacuation due to bad weather or natural disaster
- A hurricane warning being issued for your trip destination
Cancel for Work Reasons
Your career can also get in the way of that vacation you have planned far in advance. Some policies on TripInsurance.com include a provision for canceling for work reasons. If your boss writes a letter explaining that the company has cancelled your approved vacation because of business reasons, you can cancel your trip for a refund of some or all of your non-refundable loss.
“Some policies on TripInsurance.com include a provision for canceling for work reasons.”
Cancel for Any Reason
This gives the family traveler 100% freedom to cancel a trip 2 days or more before the scheduled departure date for a non-covered reason and be reimbursed for a percentage of the cancellation penalty amount (such as 75% or 80%). Of course, if a trip is cancelled for a covered reason, then reimbursement will be at 100% of the cancellation amount under the Trip Cancellation Benefit.
Cancel For Any Reason coverage is time sensitive and must be purchased within a specified period (such as within 15 days of the date of your initial deposit for the trip). All of the Best plans on TripInsurance.com include a provision for Cancel for Any Reason.
Do you have a question we haven't answered here?
Call our toll free number at 877-219-8169, and our licensed travel insurance experts will answer any questions for you. There is no obligation to buy. We're just happy to help.